Many members of my family are sensitive to the fragrance in commercial laundry softeners and dryer sheets. Here is a great alternative that I use.
This is a recipe I use for linen spray to add natural beneficial fragrance to our sheets and towels. (I also have first hand knowledge that it makes a fantastic Monster Banishing Spray for little ones to spray under the bed before sleep).
- 4 oz. clean spray bottle with a fine mist setting (do not use a bottle that previously contained cleaning products or hair products such as hair spray).
- 30-40 drops of your favorite calming/relaxing or sensual essential oil or essential oil blend keeping the safety data of the chosen essential oil(s) in mind.
- 1.5 ounces of distilled water and 1.5 ounces of high-proof alcohol (vodka is suitable, rubbing alcohol is not) or 3 ounces of distilled water.
This is my favorite blend:
- 15 drops Sandalwood- relaxing, soothing, cooling, and sensual. It promotes restful sleep and helps to ease an anxious mind. It’s considered an aid in meditation and prayer- It is grounding in times of emotional distraction and aids with peace and acceptance in times of loss. In vapor therapy, Sandalwood Oil can be used to help clear bronchitis, coughs, chest infections, asthma, insomnia and irritability.
- 15 drops Grapefruit or Bergamot-(I love the Bergamot)- used in the treatment of depression, stress, tension, fear, hysteria, infection (all types including skin), anorexia, psoriasis, eczema and general convalescence.
- 2 drops Rose- an exotic aphrodisiac, an emollient in skin care products, and a balancer of the spirit.
- 2 drops Jasmine- a sensual, soothing, calming oil that promotes love and peace.
Be sure and take heed in the safety data for the oil(s) you choose to use.
Directions: Fill the spray bottle with your choice of either 1.5 ounces of distilled water and 1.5 ounces of alcohol or 3 ounces of distilled water. (Even though a 4 oz. bottle is suggested, leave about 1 oz. unfilled so you can shake the bottle well between uses.)
Then, add 30-40 drops of essential oil. Essential oils can very in strength. You may want to try 20 drops at first especially if you or your partner are sensitive to strong aromas. Shake the bottle prior to each use, and let it sit for about a day before making a conclusion that the aroma is too weak; the aroma can change after the linen spray has had time to sit. Mist your sheets lightly. Be especially careful not to allow the mist to fall onto your skin, furniture or into open beverages. Be careful also to only use lightly colored essential oils otherwise your linen spray could stain your bed linens.
Sweet Dreams! <3
Love, Laughter & Candlelight!