Monthly Archives: September 2009
Here in our Studio, Sandalwood is a huge favorite. Sandalwood is very versatile, it smells fantastic on its own, and it is great in blends with fruit (such as Pomegranate) and Vanilla.
Did you know that it is sold only to perfumers, craftsman, and incense makers from India at auctions under armed guard due to its high value. One sandalwood tree in a forest makes the whole forest smell of sandalwood as the scent clings to other trees.
Sandalwood is a root parasite and extracts nutrients from the host plant by means of special formations called haustoria.
It is endangered due to modernization and strictly controlled by the Indian Government. The most valuable part of the tree is the scented heartwood.
Sandalwood trees are a minimum of 30 years old before they are harvested although 60 years is more normal.
The documented use of Sandalwood goes back 4000 years to India, Egypt, Greece and Rome. Many temples and structures were built from Sandalwood and the Egyptians used it in embalming. This practice has steadily decreased to the point where Sandalwood East Indian is now only being used for the distillation of oil. The largest reason for this is the over-harvesting of the tree coupled with the 30 year period required for the regeneration.
Sandalwood Essential oil is often used in Alternative medicine and in Ayurveda.
Our favorite Candle blend with Sandalwood is our Vanilla Sandalwood: Sexy, languorous, blend of woody Sandalwood & musk infused with just the right amount of Vanilla.
We also now offer Sandalwood Floral Water, (which makes an excellent facial toner.)
Well…Bilge Monkey says it best “because Pirateyness is next to Godliness” 😉
How did you spend your talk like a Pirate day? If you are not up to speed on Pirate lingo check out the official Talk Like a Pirate Day site here. Here you can learn the basics of how to talk like a pirate, as well as pirate pick up lines and some cool links.
We are lovers of all things Pirate! Check our our Pieces of Eight Pirate inspired candles.
There are Pirate travel tins as well as Pirate Pillars. Our Pirate Candles are made with eco friendly Veggie wax and all cotton wicks.
We have searched to World’s End and beyond to bring you the finest fragrances to set the mood whether it be a peaceful night in with your Corsair, or a wild night of pillaging…or both!
Our Pyrate line features our 3×6 inch Pyrate Pillars, Travel tins and our 14oz. Rum Pot. (All Pyrate fragrances are also available in any style including Bath & Body!)
Wicked Wench, Aztec Gold, Scallywag, Rum Runner, Singapore Nights, Swag, Calypso & Mutiny.
Don’t underestimate the power of sleep.
Did you know not getting enough sleep can impair your immunity causing you to get sick more often, create constant low grade inflammation, increase your risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and even make you fatter!
Most of us need between 7-9 hours of shut eye a night, with those getting 6 hours or less facing the increased risk of disease.
Here are some tips to hep you fall out faster!
- Wake up and go to bed at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Limit your intake of alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco products during the day, especially in the hours before sleep.
- Finish eating 2 to 3 hours before bedtime, avoiding big meals.
- Exercise regularly. Finish your exercise a few hours before bedtime.
- Eliminate napping or limit the duration to 20 to 30 minutes.
Create the Best Possible Sleep Environment
- Remove electronics like computers and televisions from your room.
- Keep the room cool, comfortable, quiet, and dark.
- Use a comfortable mattress and pillows.
- Use the bed only for sleep and intimacy.
Prepare for Sleep
- Establish a relaxing bedtime routine: take a bath, read a book, bask in candlelight and stare peacefully into the flame, listen to relaxing music before bed.
- Don’t watch the clock—it can cause anxiety about sleep.
- Get out of bed if you can’t fall asleep within 15 to 20 minutes. Only spend time in bed when you are actually sleeping.
- Write down concerns that keep you awake, creating a “to do” list for tomorrow. Also keep a sleep journal to help you see patterns in your sleep.
Let aromatherapy relax you-we love our Lavanilla scented natural wax candles, but really you can use any fragrance you love.
Share your tips for a peace filled night, what helps you drift off to dreamland?