If you want to learn about Aromatherapy and are interested in starting to collect Essential Oils for your own use, Lavender is where you want to start! Talk about a hard working multipurpose essential oil, lavender is king! ♛
Lavender essential oil has soothing, calming, antiseptic and restorative properties. Lavender is considered the multi purpose oil, is readily used neat, (undiluted) and combines well with almost all other oils for a wide variety of benefits.
Lavender Essential Oil Physical Benefits and Effects…
- Skin care – especially dry or acne prone skin-I use this on my daughter for her eczema.
- Natural Antibacterial – Lavender has a minimum inhibitory concentration of 0.32% against staphylococcus aureas. (in the presence of 0.32% of the oil this organism cannot grow). I even add some to the water I mop my floors with.
- Headaches – rub a drop or two on the temples for tension migraine relief.
- Burns – The cooling, soothing and skin restorative effects are good for anti-inflammatory sunburn care. Documented use as an emergency care for heatstroke until medical personnel can arrive. I keep a bottle in the kitchen because I *always* burn myself cooking.
- Insect Repellent/Bites and Stings – Repel bugs and takes the sting away from bites.
- Blood Pressure and Heart – Soothes heart palpitations and lowers blood pressure because of anti-stress properties
- Congestion/Asthma – Anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory effects make lavender good for respiratory support. Suitable for use with children as well.
- Dandruff – Stimulating and moisturizing effects help with hair shine and dry scalp.
Lavender & your Mood…
- Antidepressant – Lavender is a well-documented antidepressant essential oil.
- Refreshing and Uplifting – Can help balance mood swings and PMS symptoms
- Anti-Stress – Calming and soothing effects help counteract stress hormones
- Insomnia – A mild sedative effect for restless or anxious nights
Cautions for Using Lavender: There are very few precautions with the use of lavender essential oils. High quality organic lavender essential oils are best.
We love ours mixed with some Madagascar Vanilla Essential Oil and added to our Organic Coconut wax Candles!
- Tappan’s Handbook of Healing Massage Techniques by Tappan and Benjamin. 4th Edition.
- Aromatherapy Massage by Clare Maxwell-Hudson
- Aromatherapy: Scent and Psyche by Peter and Kate Damian
- Aromatherapy for Health Professionals by Len Price and Shirley Price