★Ceviche is the coastal regions of Central and Southern America’s version of Sushi. (Although I made my Ceviche with fully cooked fish…)
I tend to approach cooking like my grandmother’s did…recipes are only “guidelines” so feel free to tweak this to your tastes.
How did I make mine?
- 1 lb. fresh but fully cooked tiny shrimp,
- 8 oz. crab meat-fresh is best, but canned is fine too.
(traditional Ceviche calls for any raw local FRESH fish thinly sliced and “cooked” in the citrus juice, but not many in my household do raw fish so I went with cooked instead).
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 1 sour orange juiced
- 3 limes juiced
- 1 large handful organic chopped cilantro
- 2 organic carrots finely diced
- 2 fresh avocados finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno finely diced
- lime and extra avocado to garnish.
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, diced
Combine all ingredients in a serving bowl, I added salt, fresh cracked pepper and a bit of Mesquite seasoning to taste.
Serve with salted baked tortilla chips as a dip. It is also good served on a bed of spinach as a tostada…or with shredded cabbage as fish tacos.
You can substitute any fish you like, but remember- fresh and local is best!
Love, Laughter & Candlelight,
Here is a delicious quick recipe from my Gran. (yes, that is really her picture).
This picture/article is from a magazine my brother Vince is working on for (discoverthepass.com). Check out their site for lots of cool local business info and history!
Millie’s Pasta Carbonara
- 1 lb. pasta dry or fresh (preferably fresh)
- 2 eggs
- 7 chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 16oz. pancetta (Italian bacon)
- 8oz. shaved Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. canned peas (optional) *I add sauteed mushrooms to mine instead*
Pan fry pancetta, garlic, basil and peas/mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until cooked. Boil pasta then drain completely. Then while pasta is still steaming hot add the eggs and parmesan and stir for one minute. After stirring add the pancetta, basil and garlic mixture. Fold lightly and serve.
Love, Laughter & Candlelight!